Photography and Video Guidelines
In addition to being one of the world's preeminent scientific research institutions, the Salk Institute is a historical and architectural landmark. Visitors from all around the world visit our campus, which is open to the public every weekday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm and is closed on weekends.
Journalists can arrange photo and video shoots with the Institute's media relations team. For more information contact Melanie Buettner at email@example.com, or Kristina Grifantini at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recreational Photography and Videography
Photography and videography by guests and visitors is permitted on the Salk campus, provided that such activities do not interfere with the research or other ordinary functions of the Institute including previously scheduled Institute events. Such activities may not pose a security or safety risk. People photographing and filming at Salk must comply with all Salk rules, policies and the instructions of Salk staff members.
In addition, people photographing and filming at Salk must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Recreational shoots are considered to be people who use one hand-held camera, unless special permission is received through the Office of Communications.
- No use of props, special lighting devices (such as off-camera flashes) or costumes.
- Respect other visitors and Salk staff by speaking quietly and behaving appropriately, as if you were at an art gallery or library.
Professional/Commercial and Formal Photography and Filming
Professional/Commercial photography and filming for purposes of theatrical release, industrial use and public service announcements are not permitted. Wedding, engagement, graduation, family portrait, model portfolio and other types of formal and commissioned personal photography and videography are not permitted.
For more information please call 858-453-4100 x1287.
Additonal Items to Note:
- No horseplay in the fountains or the stream flowing through the courtyard.
- Children must be directly supervised by a responsible adult at all times.
- No pets other than service animals are allowed on campus.