Health & Safety Guidance for Everyone Entering Salk Campus or Any Salk Facility
Updated Health & Safety Guidance for Everyone Entering Salk Campus or Any Salk Facility
The health and safety of our employees remains our highest priority during these uncertain times. Salk’s Crisis Management Team continues to monitor and comply with all federal, state and county guidance regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, including measures to prevent spread of the virus. Members of the Institute’s leadership team and faculty also communicate regularly with other research organizations in San Diego and across the country. Working with our colleagues to verify and exchange best practices has been a valuable component in how Salk policies, protocols and our planning for a phased return to work have been shaped.
The Institute will begin a phased and planned approach to permitting additional lab staff and scientific personnel on campus as public health officials allow for research activities in San Diego to increase. A Guidance Task Force (GTF), chaired by Martin Hetzer and composed of faculty and administrative staff, has already begun drafting a workplan that will be distributed to the entire Institute once completed. The GTF, working in consultation with members of the Crisis Management Team and COVID-19 Faculty Committee, will outline how Salk can increase research activities on campus while observing measures that help protect the health and safety of all of our employees.
Please note that everyone must continue to adhere to the following requirements:
- All personnel on campus must read and adhere to the Salk Protective Measures posted throughout our facilities and online here.
- Face masks must be worn on campus at all times.
- All staff entering Salk’s campus are required to be symptom-free and must have performed a self-health check prior to entering campus.
- Anyone who believes they have been in close contact with someone demonstrating symptoms of illness, or has symptoms of illness themselves, is required to inform their direct supervisor and is prohibited from entering the campus for the safety of the Salk community.
- Without revealing the name of the person experiencing symptoms (or person who believes they have been exposed), the Environmental Health & Safety Department (EH&S), in consultation with Human Resources (HR), will proceed with protocols provided in Salk’s COVID-19 Quarantine and Isolation Guidance, posted online here.
- If you develop symptoms while on campus, you must inform your supervisor and immediately leave campus, and follow the steps outlined in Salk’s COVID-19 Quarantine and Isolation Guidance.
- Individuals entering the Salk campus are required to comply with the Salk Protective Measures. In the event an individual is observed not complying with the Protective Measures, the individual will be directed to comply by staff from EH&S and/or Human Resources. If further action becomes necessary to ensure compliance, Human Resources, EH&S and the VP/CSO will review, evaluate and implement additional measures deemed appropriate and necessary to ensure a safe workplace.
ADDITIONAL SAFETY PROCEDURES
In the last week, the County of San Diego has implemented new requirements for employers that will directly impact all individuals who are performing work on campus. Under these requirements:
- Before entering the main Salk campus or any Salk facility (e.g., Torrey Pines Center South, Salk North or any other leased space), every individual, including all employees and outside suppliers, authorized to work on-site must
- complete a daily self-health evaluation to assess the presence of any identified symptom of illness; and
- pass a temperature check at a location designated by Salk prior to entering the campus or any Salk facility.
- Individuals who present with a fever of 100 F degrees or higher will be prohibited from entering.
- Individuals who decline a temperature check will also be prohibited from entering.
- Suppliers and service providers working on-site must comply with all Salk protocols, including completing and signing a waiver, available here. The Salk employee working with the supplier must send a confirmation to Security Dispatch confirming the waiver has been returned and send a copy of the signed waiver to Nicole Lack at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Additional guidance will be forthcoming as the Institute implements the public health guidelines on temperature checks for individuals entering Salk’s campus or facilities.
The Salk campus remains closed to all Salk personnel except those designated by their PI or Department Head as essential to perform work on site, and who have been scheduled in advance with the Security Services Department. Campus work hours are authorized only from 8 a.m. to 12 a.m.
As always, thank you for your cooperation and flexibility.