Gleeful Performance by Broadway Star Idina Menzel at 16th Annual Symphony at Salk
Perched high above the Pacific Ocean, under a canopy of stars, the iconic courtyard was transformed into an enchanting concert venue for the 16th annual Symphony at Salk.
Tony award winner and star of the TV hit show Glee, Idina Menzel captivated more than 650 guests with the power of her voice, which resonated throughout the Institute. Under the direction of returning guest conductor Thomas Wilkins, the San Diego Symphony and Menzel performed a diverse set of songs ranging from Broadway to pop music.
Before the concert, guests were treated to an exclusive gourmet dinner, specifically created just for the event by award-winning chef Jeffrey Strauss, owner of the critically acclaimed Pamplemousse Grille.
During intermission, Marsha Chandler, the Salk Institute's Executive Vice President, led a "Happy Birthday" serenade to Audrey Geisel and board members Ralph O'Connor, Ernest Rady and Darlene Shiley (all born in August). Each received a special birthday cake topped off with a single sparkler.
The impact of the 16th annual Symphony at Salk is generous funding for the Institute's influential scientific research and educational outreach.
Hope is in the Science
Video: Courtesy of the Salk Institute for Biological Studies
Press Coverage of the Event
- NBC San Diego - Gleek$ Turn out at Salk Institute
- North County Times - Symphony at Salk -- some musical mementos
- SignonSanDiego.com - Menzel shakes off a slow start at Salk
- La Jolla Light - Broadway star Idina Menzel headlines Symphony at Salk concert
- Ranch and Coast - Symphony at Salk
- North County Times - Broadway and 'Glee' Star Menzel Joins Symphony for Salk Gala
- SignonSanDiego.com - Symphony Tunes Up for Evening with Idina
- NBC San Diego - Gleek$ Unite at Salk Institute