EDUCATION OUTREACH

Salk Introduction to Research Science Hybrid Program

Salk Institute for Biological Studies - EDUCATION OUTREACH - Salk Introduction to Research Science Hybrid Program

Salk Introduction to Research Science Hybrid Program


The Salk Introduction to Research Science Program is a hybrid STEM educational experience geared toward providing students a first look at science outside of a traditional classroom setting through hands-on and virtual experiences.

This program was inspired by the professional development and training opportunities that have been a part of the Heithoff-Brody Summer Scholars program. The program will include scientific inquiry and communication skills, interactions with diverse mentor scientists, as well as hands-on & virtual lab simulations. This program will use Salk Education Outreach expertise in science communication to equip students with necessary skill sets that will make them better qualified candidates for future STEM internship opportunities. The overall goal of the program is to enable and encourage students that may have had limited opportunities in science with the opportunity to explore their interests and prepare for future STEM internships.

Basic Program Details

  • Program Dates: June 21 – July 22
  • Program is offered at no charge to participants.
  • Students that complete the program will receive a certificate of completion.
  • On average 5-10 hours per week commitment.
  • Program is self-paced with mandatory weekly assignments and Zoom meetings (schedule TBD).
  • 80% of the participants selected will be from the San Diego County area with the remaining 20% from a nationwide candidate pool.*
  • Selection process – application.
  • Elements include hands-on and virtual labs, mentorship by scientists, collaboration with peers, and scientific presentations.
  • In-person event hosted on Salk’s campus featuring miniPCR’s BioBits Central Dogma hands-on lab. Each participant will get to keep the biotechnology equipment, a $99 value, and could then conduct additional labs at home.**

Program Eligibility

  • Any rising 10th & 11th grade student OR a rising 12th grade student that attends a year-round high school
  • Willing and able to commit to the entire duration program
  • Applicants should identify with one or more of the following:
    • Currently enrolled in a high school that is classified as a Title I institution
    • Socioeconomically disadvantaged/low-income background (e.g., qualify for the free/reduced lunch program)
    • Neither parent/guardian graduated from a four-year US college or university

The application for eligible students closes on May 6, 2022.

Please click here to apply

*A virtual workshop option with hands-on materials shipped directly to the student will take place on or around Tuesday, June 21st for students that are located outside of San Diego County or are unable to attend the in-person workshop for any reason.

**For the safety and wellbeing of the Salk workplace and surrounding community, all students who wish to attend the in-person workshop must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.  Students will be asked to provide proof of vaccination to obtain approval to attend the workshop. For students that are unable to establish proof of vaccination, a virtual option will be offered.

For more information on this program, please contact the Education Outreach Department at education@salk.edu.