Salk Introduction to Research Science and Communication Virtual Program
Due to the constantly evolving situation around the COVID-19 crisis, the Heithoff-Brody Summer Scholar program will be on hiatus for summer 2020 to preserve the health and safety of students and Salk employees. In order to continue our mission, we are piloting a virtual program for summer 2020. This program will use Salk Education Outreach expertise in science communication to equip students with skills that will make them better candidates for future careers in science.
The Salk Introduction to Research Science and Communication Virtual Program is inspired by the professional development opportunities that have been a part of the Heithoff-Brody Summer Scholars program. This will be in continuing collaboration with the Biocom Institute Partners for Internships (BIPI). Program elements will include scientific readings, data analysis, science presentation delivery and virtual lab simulations.
- Program Dates: 6/29-7/24 with additional presentation slots 7/27-31
- Eligibility – program is open to students who were in high school during the 2020 school year and do not need to be San Diego County residents
- Students that complete the program will receive a certificate of completion
- On average 5-10 hours per week commitment
- Program is self-paced with weekly assignments and Zoom meetings (schedule TBD)
- Selection process – opt in by completing this Google form. Deadline to submit opt-in request: June 5, 2020. Opt-in requests will be selected by lottery with a percentage of slots dedicated to students who had also applied for the 2020 Heithoff-Brody Scholars program through the BIPI application portal
- Students will be notified of lottery results by June 10, 2020
During these unprecedented circumstances, we are pleased to offer this innovative programming solution. This will allow us to continue to develop students’ scientific communication skills while Salk scientists devote their full attention to the research mission of the Salk Institute.
For more information on this program, please contact the Education Outreach Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that we value student-led engagement and encourage students to advocate on their own behalf.