Salk Introduction to Research Science and Communication Virtual Program
Due to the constantly evolving situation around the COVID-19 crisis, we are unable to say at this time whether the public health conditions will be conducive to the Heithoff-Brody Summer Scholar program taking place in summer 2021. Updates on the program’s status will be posted on this page as soon as they are available.
In order to continue our mission, we will continue to offer a virtual program for summer 2021. This program will use Salk Education Outreach expertise in science communication to equip students with skills that will make them better candidates for future careers in science.
The Salk Introduction to Research Science and Communication Virtual Program is inspired by the professional development opportunities that have been a part of the Heithoff-Brody Summer Scholars program. This will be in continuing collaboration with the Biocom Institute Partners for Internships (BIPI). Program elements will include scientific readings, data analysis, science presentation delivery and virtual lab simulations.
2021 Program Details
- Program Dates: 6/28-7/30 with additional presentation slots 8/27-31.
- The program is not limited to San Diego county residents, the program is open to all US residents enrolled in high school during the 2021 academic year.
- Students that complete the program will receive a certificate of completion.
- On average 5-10 hours per week commitment.
- Program is self-paced with weekly assignments and Zoom meetings (schedule TBD).
- Application process – A link to the opt-in form will be available on this website in mid-January. Opt-in requests will be used to select participants by lottery.
- Students will be notified of lottery results by April 19, 2021
During these unprecedented circumstances, we are pleased to continue to offer this innovative programming solution. This program will allow us to continue to develop students’ scientific communication skills while Salk scientists devote their full attention to the research mission of the Salk Institute.
For more information on this program, please contact the Education Outreach Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that we value student-led engagement and encourage students to advocate on their own behalf.