1. Inoculate colonies in up to 5 ml LB or TB with appropriate antibiotic in 14 ml Falcon tubes (BD 352059). Close cap loosely.
ABSOLUTELY NO TIPS SHOULD BE LEFT INSIDE THE TUBES if you need your cultures back
Label the tubes with first and last initial followed by a numerical ID (Example AB01, AB02, etc.) Place samples in the first numerically available slot in the 37 degree shaker outside the elevator located at the east end of the north tunnel in the basement of north-east building). The samples will be processed in the numerical order of the slots.
Note: 14 ml Falcon tubes are the only tubes that will be accepted by the Robot. Samples sent in all other kinds of tubes will not be processed.
2. Fill out the spreadsheet on the top of the shaker. Make sure the slot ID matches the spreadsheet ID.
3. To minimize the handling error and for easy distribution of the DNA, the number of samples submitted should be in multiples of 8. For example: 8, 16, 24, etc. The minimum number of samples is 8. You will be charged for the cost of 8 samples even if you submit only 6 samples.
4. Samples will be done before noon the following day.
Note: In order for your samples to be processed the following day, you have to grow your cultures using core’s designated shaker.
5. You will be notified by email when your samples are ready to be picked up. Please pick up your samples by 3:00 pm that day.
Note: The Functional Genomics Core Facility will not be responsible for any samples that are not picked up by this time.
6. For those of you who have 96 samples altogether, the core will provide you with a 96 deep well block for inoculation. This will save you the time and effort of inoculating in tubes.