Holding an Event at Salk
Thank you for your interest in the Salk Institute’s meeting center for your upcoming event. The Salk Institute was established in the 1960s by Dr. Jonas Salk, developer of the polio vaccine and designed by world-renowned architect Louis Kahn. In 1992, the Salk received a 25-Year Award from the American Institute of Architects (AIA) and was featured in the AIA exhibit, Structures of Our Time: 31 Buildings That Changed Modern Life. The Salk Institute has been described in the San Diego Union-Tribune as the single most significant architectural site in San Diego.
As a 501 C3 non-profit organization, the Salk Institute is limited by law to only allow events by other non-profit organizations to occur on the campus.
If you are organizing an event sponsored by a 501 C3 non-profit organization and would like to hold your event at the Salk Institute, please note the following:
- As a non-profit, the Salk Institute does need to charge for internal expenses relating to the event. Charges to an outside organization holding their event on campus are tailored to the needs of each individual event.
- The Salk Institute has very limited availability, and books out twelve months and beyond.
- The Salk Institute does not allow the outside courtyards to be used for non-Salk events.
The following events are not allowed:
- Personal social events such as weddings, receptions, bar mitzvahs, reunions, etc.
- Any events by a for-profit company
The Salk Institute auditorium seats 295 with a small stage.
The Salk Institute foyer seats 160 in dining style seating. The foyer can be converted to a reception-style event and has presentation capabilities with a screen and projector.
Please note that, due to the large volume of requests we receive, we do not conduct site visits until the event request is approved by both parties.
If you are interested in holding an event at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please contact:
Inger K. Johnson
Manager, Meetings and Special Events
Salk Institute for Biological Studies
We look forward to working with you.